DRS STRONG WEEK 101: 10 THINGS YOU WANT TO KNOW BEFORE YOU START CROSSFIT
Written by Rosario Rios Aguilar on 29 August 2016.
“THE PRINCIPLE IS COMPETING AGAINST YOURSELF AND BEING BETTER THAN YOU WERE BEFORE”
This blog is going to be dedicated for those people that are ready to start CrossFit but maybe do not know where to start. This blog will go over 10 different terms or facts that will guide you to the process 🙂
First, for the DRSrs!! the FOCUS of the week is COMPETE AGAINST YOURSELF! This week we are introducing fast sprint type of focus for a lot of the workouts and its going to be very important that you do not get caught up with how you can cut reps or get the reps faster but instead, HOW CAN I MOVE FAST WHILE I KEEP THE BEST FORM POSSIBLE! By focusing on competing against yourself , your focus on your own movement will be key instead of how fast the person next to you is moving 🙂 GO GET IT!!!
Ok here they are:
1. WOD: Work out of the Day. This is the workout that you are being prescribed by your coach
2. RX: This means you are doing the entire workout in terms of reps, sets, weights and movement standards as prescribed
3. Modify: This means you are doing the entire workout or part of the workout or movements modify. NO THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU SUCK, this just means that either you are getting better at new movements or you are working your way up to a certain weight. Or you are dealing with injury, so you have to modify.
4. Box: Means gym, here at DRS Athletics we are a combination of a BOX and a Sports Performance CENTER!
5. You will find out real quick how out of shape you are: THIS IS NORMAL FOR A LOT OF PEOPLE. But that is why you are here, to get better physically and to be healthier. This doesn’t mean that CrossFit is the only way to train, but CrossFit does challenge a lot of the energy systems used to get in the best fitness shape.
6. CrossFit is so dangerous: ANYTHING IS DANGEROUS HAHA! This is one of the first things you might hear by people when you say that you started CrossFit. Yes there is an injury rate like any other activity you do, but it is important to research what your gym has to offer and how knowledgeable your coaches are in terms of movement. Period.
If you move with good technique and understand the patience it takes to be good at higher skills or movements then you will have a longevity with this Sport. Every sport has its incompetent people that don’t want to take the time to move well and be all about weight or speed, but then there are others that are willing to work hard and learn about their body and their potential. There are no shortcuts!
7. What you eat is more important than what you lift.
Nutrition is key. Nutrition affects your energy levels, recovery, and performance. And let’s be honest, it affects the way you look. You can do CrossFit for months but if you are eating junk then your results will be junk. Food is all about balance and what your goal is with food. For me, I loooove quesadillas and mexican food haha but I also know that fueling my body is very important for my daily energy, sleep and training. I go in periods of PALEO, zone and PALEO Modify which means I still eat rice and tortillas haha. The most important thing is knowing the reason why you would be intaking certain food. Are you eating it for pleasure? Ok, then maybe during the week you can have healthier options, etc.
8. The workouts are always varying. This is true because stimulus of training is very important. If you are stuck in a routine, YOU NEED OUT! your body adapts within 23-28 days and some people adapt quicker, so changing the stimulus and focus of a workout is very important. You will do many things that maybe you never thought of being possible. THIS IS WHY IT’S SO AWESOME!!
9. You will form lasting relationships. THIS IS TRUE!!! the battlefield we share day in and day out brings you closer to many people in your class. At DRS we are truly proud of our members and the community we have created. WE HAVE EACH OTHERS BACK :)!
10. You are only competing against yourself:
“While some people like to have fun and see if they can beat their friend’s time, in the end the competition you have inside the box is only against yourself. I have let out so many different emotions inside the box including happiness, frustration, anger, tears, joy, and the feeling of accomplishment. When you do your first pull-up or rope climb, the feeling you have is like no other. But that also goes for saying when you drop the bar for the first time because it is too heavy and you can’t get out of a squat, you will be beyond frustrated with yourself. CrossFit really pushes your mental strengths and weaknesses. You can’t blame someone else because you couldn’t lift as much as you wanted, you have to blame yourself, and that is the hardest part but also the one that makes you stronger.”
EMBRACE THE SUCK AND BE COMFORTABLE IN THE UNCOMFORTABLE 🙂
Top Scores: Kolbie with the sweep haha
“Sometimes I notice that I like to climb things hahah”
2016 08 29